https://riseandshine.childrensnational.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Girl-watching-fireworks-feature.png 300 400 Rise and Shine https://riseandshine.childrensnational.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/childrens_riseandshine_logo.jpg Rise and Shine2019-06-25 16:21:072019-07-16 11:15:16How to keep your family safe during fireworks season
Winter holidays are a time for families and friends to get together. But the gatherings could put children and families at a greater risk for preventable injury and fire. Here are some holiday season safety tips.
- Make sure guests are aware of children’s abilities – they may not have seen them lately. For example, the baby maybe pulling up or starting to walk and can reach things that were previously out of reach.
- Avoid using candles with flames. Keep matches and lighters up high or locked up.
- Make sure your smoke detector is working – have a carbon monoxide detector if you have gas appliances.
- Guests should secure all their medications – no purses on the floor, etc.
- Stay in the kitchen when cooking on the stove top.
- Cook with handles turned inward.
- Keep sharp kitchen tools out of reach.
- Keep children away from the stove, preferably out of the kitchen or in a highchair or behind a gate.
- Stay home when cooking with the oven.
Safe home decorations
- Use flame resistant or retardant decorations.
- Take care lights are used properly – indoor for indoor.
- Turn lights out when going to bed.
- Keep candles away from decorations and curtains. If you’re using candles with flames extinguish them when you leave the room.
Safe holiday entertaining
- Keep hot food in the center of the table, and cover or place lids on hot drinks.
- Be mindful of your guests’ allergies or health issues.
- Share your home’s escape plan with your guests.
- Assign someone to watch the small children during gatherings or celebrations.
Most of all, remember to have a wonderful time with family and friends!