Children like to help their parents with outside activities during the spring and summer. It’s a great way for them to run around and get a little exercise. However, many outdoor tools and gardening materials are dangerous for children and could cause serious injuries if left unattended. Follow these gardening and landscape safety tips for kids to keep your little ones safe!
Backyard safety tips:
- Observe the current landscape of your backyard:
- Are there tools or dangerous gardening chemicals left lying around?
- Make sure there are anchors and supports to hang tools and other objects to keep them from falling.
- When leaving power tools or other equipment idle remove keys and unplug all tools.
- Lock sheds and other outdoor buildings to keep kids from going inside unattended.
- Make sure small children are out of the way and supervised while you use ride-on lawn mowers and other machinery.
Teach your child about the plants in your garden and instruct them not to eat anything without your permission. Also remember to keep pesticides in their original containers and store them and other chemicals on high shelves that your child can’t reach.