To all the new and expecting moms and dads out there — congratulations! You’re going to be amazing parents and we’ll be right here with you so you’re not alone. To help you, here are some simple baby safety tips.
Six simple baby safety tips
- Place babies on their backs for naps and at night until they are 1 year old. For the safest sleep environment for your baby, a firm mattress and fitted sheet are all you need so remove blankets, bumpers, toys and other soft objects from your baby’s crib. Learn more about sleep safety.
- Check to make sure your car seat is installed correctly. Using a properly installed car seat is the best way to keep your child safe in the car. Certified Child Passenger Safety Technicians are here to help you or check out our Ultimate Car Seat Guide, available in English and Spanish, for expert advice on how to choose and use your car seat.
- Keep babies strapped in when using highchairs, infant carriers, swings and strollers. Stay within arm’s reach when your baby is on higher surfaces like beds, sofas or changing tables. Learn more about preventing falls.
- Set your water heater to 120° F to avoid burns. Test the bath water with your elbow or your wrist. The water should feel warm, not hot. And avoid drinking or carrying hot beverages or foods when holding your baby. Learn more about burn prevention.
- Keep medicine, cleaning products and small objects like button batteries up and away, out of reach and sight. And take a moment to save the Poison Help number in your phone and post it visibly at home: 1-800-222-1222. Learn more about choking prevention.
- Install working smoke alarm AND a carbon monoxide alarm on every level of your home, and in all sleeping areas. This is an important tip for not just baby safety, but family safety as well. And please test the alarms regularly to make sure they work. Learn more about fire prevention.